Monday, August 11, 2008

Meeting room mishap

We have a group that meets every month in our conference room to watch Laurel & Hardy movies. Their DVDs are some kind of European format (or Japanese format? I don't know) so they bring their own DVD player and hook it into the back of our TV. In my dealings with them before they have been haughty, impatient, condescending and just generally difficult to deal with, so I'm never happy to hear they need help with the equipment.

But this evening that's exactly what happened. Now our conference room has two doors, one leading out into the lobby and one inside the library proper. When I heard they needed help I went to the closer entrance inside the library and opened the door. Feeling some resistance, I sort of craned my neck around the door to see if there was a chair or even a person on the other side. Seeing nothing, I pushed the door all the way open, and immediately something crashed to the floor and everyone in the group gasped in horror. Their handmade "It's Time for Laurel & Hardy" clock lay in pieces on the floor.

I felt bad but at the same time PO'd because why the hell are they hanging their stupid clock over an ENTRYWAY, for god's sake? The looks on their faces, especially the guy in charge, were murderous at that point. I tried to pick it up and put it back together but it was a lost cause.

To top it all off, I was unable to assist them with the DVD player, either. While I was looking at it, several of them made snarky comments that REALLY pissed me off, so I just gave up and had them move to a different room where I knew the equipment worked.

I did the best I could but I know they are very unhappy with me. And I DO feel bad about their clock (as dorky and nerdy as it is, it's theirs, and they obviously love it), but it was an ACCIDENT, which was at least partially their own fault for hanging it in such a precarious spot.

Sometimes you just can't do anything right. Sigh...

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I'm still not over the fact that there is a whole group devoted to "Laurel & Hardy"!