Tuesday, August 26, 2008

How to feel good about life again (at least for a little while)

Teach a class, any class, as long as you like what you're teaching.

I was so bummed this morning about the inevitable decline of libraries that I could barely drag myself to work. I groaned when I arrived and realized I had scheduled myself to teach a PowerPoint class.

My branch offers a regular series of free introductory computer classes every month, starting with basic mouse and keyboard skills and progressing on to Word, Excel, Internet, Email & PowerPoint.

I usually feel very stressed when I'm scheduled to teach. But invariably, as the class is progressing, I remember how rewarding it is to feel like you're doing something concrete to help people. When the tough-looking tattooed guy in the front row said "That is just so cool!" after I showed the class how to create neat transitions between slides, I felt pretty damned good.

So yeah, if you feel crappy, teach somebody something and I guarantee it'll make ya feel better. :-)

No comments: