Saturday, November 1, 2008

Voting: it's the right thing to do!


Even though we have had early voting at my library for two weeks I have not been able to take a few minutes to go over to the meeting room and take care of it. So I went to a different branch (one closer to my home) on my day off yesterday to do my civic duty.

What an interesting experience! There were at least 150 people in line when I walked in and more kept pouring in as I waited. The wait was about 45 minutes, not too bad when you consider the importance of casting my vote in this historic election.

It being Halloween, there was a rather festive atmosphere in the queue. We had a 1920s flapper, a Sarah Palin look-alike (a pretty good one, too), a cheerleader, a vampire, and a man dressed in a conservative business suit topped off with a wacky Elvira wig. Not sure exactly what he was going for, but it was interesting.

I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet and respectful everyone was, especially considering that the line snaked through the library itself. I didn't hear a single person complain about how long it was taking, and once I got inside the voting room itself, everyone followed instructions and continued to wait patiently until their chance to cast their vote.

This may sound hokey, but I always find myself overcome with emotion when I step into the room to cast my vote. I'm not sure what it is, but the realization of the awesome privilege and responsibility of being able to have a say in who leads our country gets me every time.

Don't miss out on the chance to have your say - VOTE!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Not hokey at all, it does the same to me. :)