Friday, November 14, 2008

Reference question of the day

douc langur
Today a man came in asking for information on "duke langers". Never having heard of it (them?), I asked if he knew anything else. He replied that his buddy at work kept talking about it, but all he would say was that it was a species in Cambodia. I searched "duke" and "cambodia" in Google but no luck. Then I tried "langers" instead and, lo and behold, found out that douc langurs are a highly endangered species of monkey in Cambodia that's been in the news because recently a huge, previously unknown population of douc langurs was discovered.

It was a short investigation (took about 3 minutes) but a fun one nevertheless. In the days before the Internet, I wonder how long it would have taken me to come across this?

No comments: